Thornbury RFC are always on the look out for parents/members willing to undertake coaching roles at all levels within the Club. Our pledge is that we shall support all coaches through every stage of their coaching development. If you are new to coaching rugby we first require that you attend a Rugby Ready Workshop, once you have gained this qualification we then recommend that you attain, as a minimum a level 1 coaching certificate.
Every coach will also be required to give information about themselves to allow a Disclosure & Barring Service to be carried out. The DBS has replaced the old CRB system.
This section explains the process for applying to attend any course run by the RFU, our Constituent Body (CB) or our Regional Development Officer (RDO).
There are many resources available on the RFU website that explains the coaching structure, the levels that can be attained and the online course booking facility. These resources are all accessed from the Coaching Rugby Union page.
Rugby Coaching Course Process at Thornbury RFC
- Speak to the head coach at your child's age grade and ask that you be nominated for attending your chosen course
- A request will then be made to the Management committee to ensure funds are available to cover the cost of your chosen course
- You will be informed by the head coach if your application has been successful. It is at this point that a DBS will
- Find the course you wish to attend by searching the Online Course Finder. The search results are given to you in distance from the post code used. Many courses are run at the Portway Development Centre in Bristol, Hartbury College in Gloucester and some at local Rugby Clubs. There are also courses run further afield!
- Follow the online booking form to book yourself on the course. As is stated at the top of the Course Finder, you will need a fully activated RFU account to book any course. This is free, just follow the link given on the Course Finder page
- Email or print out a copy of the confirmed booking giving the course, date, cost and how you wish to be reimbursed to the age grade head coach
- This will be passed to the committee to allow you to be reimbursed for the cost of the course. Any additional costs will only be reimbursed if agreed by the Management Committee prior to attending the course
- Once you have attended your course a copy of the course certificate shall be handed to the head coach of the age grade. This shall be held on record to allow the Club to demonstrate the level of coaching achieved by each of its coaches
Happy Coaching and welcome to our Team!